Welcome to My Blog

Summer 2010 will be a great summer for my family. We have many exciting activities planned.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Thing 7

I think google docs in great. What a great tool to introduce students to to get them to learn a variety of skills. There are many ways to incorporate google docs into a classroom. I have taught lessons on budgeting, applying for a classroom job, and numerous other real world skills. Google docs can be used to in all of these lessons and many more.

I have had several google docs questionnaires sent to me. This is then sent back to the maker in spreadsheet format. Again, how great would this be not only to use to ask students questions; but also, have them create and have others answer and send back. They could then use the information collected to create graphs (also found in google docs).

By using google docs students have to ability to work on numerous computers...school, home, phone...the opportunities are endless. Of course by allowing students this opportunity you are also opening up ways for students to perhaps not do all the work themselves. In order to make sure students are learning independently, teachers would need to have questions about the steps in using/applying google docs. Teachers would also need to allow opportunities for students who do not have out of school access to the internet.

When looking at the pros/cons of google docs, I believe the pros far out way the cons. This is an excellent way to enhance students technology skills for their future.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the pros far outweigh the cons! I'm so excited that you're familiar with the "forms" feature of Docs. I use it all the time to create questionairres and forms, and I love that it compiles the responses for me and even, as you pointed out, creates graphs. What a great way for students to get experience using real-world data!

    I also agree that a teacher has to be careful to make sure that students are only "collaborating" when it's appropriate, but I think that there are lots of ways to monitor and ensure that.

    Great response and great ideas for using Docs! Thing 7 complete!

    ReplyDelete